BMET Feb/March Priorities Review Meeting


With two weeks to go before Easter Holidays, BMET ESC have had another meeting to track the progress of learners thus far. As I have been at placement for almost four months now, my learners have all passed their exams and are in the process of being moved onto the third and final part of the ESOL E1 level course – writing. I plan to target these new writing materials using the approach explored in Hedge’s Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom (2016, p319) – as text forms were a part of the creative reading City & Guilds exam. So, by identifying “how can we analyse and describe the structure of written texts” it is possible to relate the two courses together and build on established understanding for the final part of the course.

Additionally, it has kindly been left to me to also develop an entire scheme of work for the new Functional Skills English group starting at the college soon. (Note: I have been provided previous staff members schemes as a template, leaving me to update and target the new examination and work materials to the new cohort of students post initial assessment/diagnostics check). As this level about the same as GCSE English, my experience teaching such a class should translate easily, just as covering did for the previous Functional Skills class toward the end of their course last month.

One final note – Though with paperwork still pending, I have been able to confirm that I have received my first grade number ones for my third observation. Which, I will be critically analysing in another blog post in the coming weeks. Not only is this good news and evidence of my ongoing/continuing professional development. But it also allows me to track my progress and develop better and more in-depth approaches to teaching that I originally didn’t know/understand or could comprehend working, prior to starting this placement.


Comments

Popular Posts