Inclusion & Diversity: LGBTQ+ in English & ESOL


Currently I am continuing my research of gender pronouns in the teaching & learning of ESOL and English language.

Last month, the college noted on all of its schemes of work that it was LGBTQ+ month, which made me inquire into the teaching of gender pronouns in both English and L2 languages, that learners will be coming to my class with each and every day. French is most known for its feminine and masculine pronouns but how this effects learners is a relatively new and unknown thing, only mentioned in a few recent but fleeting research papers.

In the CATESOL Journal, Evan Kaiser writes a piece about LGBTQ+ Voices in the Classroom, with an insight for ESOL teachers like myself. Page 9 states that there is a “heteronormativity” to ESOL and its curriculum, because it has been assumed in the past that all learners either identify and male or female. I've started combatting this in my classroom by using Mr. Ms. and Mx. prefixes for those who might feel the need - or need to know - the correct prefix for their name and/or rank.


One thing I would challenge however is a statement made in this piece where it says, “many teachers avoid LGBTQ+ topics in hopes of maintaining a harmonious classroom environment”.

As the Equality Act (2010) and Teachers’ Standards Regulations set out a clear message of discrimination not being tolerated and even punishable by law. I, and many other teachers I’ve worked with both on placement or prior to this course, have all openly and willingly spoken about gender and various other topics with students that are necessary for freedom of speech, expression and belief in a democratic society. These are the exact definitions of British values and I don’t think the problem resides solely on the teachers…

I believe this is a societal issue and without the education, it is true, mindsets can remain unchanged like they have done so for decades. However, with teachers willingly talking about gender acceptance and equality for all, it surely is time to analyse other areas for concern regarding these issues.


Comments

Popular Posts