Observation #2


This week marked the second out of seven placement observations this year, which have already seen a drastic improvement from the first as none of the professional standards have fallen below grade three this time.

PS1 – Professional Standard 1 starts with a commendation for my own awareness toward my professional development. It also makes references to my working well with colleagues at the college. Once again this can be improved by the use of more SMART targets, though that may be evident in a few more weeks due to mock exams commencing shortly.

PS6 – I have also been positively commended for my rapport and respect for students, although I should remember to follow up lateness. This is completely something for me personally to bear in mind – although –  instilling a work ethic within the learners is also a duty of mine, so it does classify as personal development, behavioural management and college policy too.

PS7 – My materials now need to reflect the stretch activities I have on the board, which is simply a matter of waiting for additional printing from reprographics as/when required. This was a facility I didn’t know existed, but now I am able to have all my materials ready for the learners prior to starting and on their desks (as needed, as providing materials too early can confuse or disorganise the lessons nature).

PS9 – Complimented on the additional research put into my lesson materials. As the local area was the topic of discussion, it was both mandatory and complimentary to include any and all information that I had on the area as a native, to help the non-native learners feel and understand what it feels like to be a long-standing member of the community.

PS12 – I am still unaware of the colleges ILP/ASLA procedure due ProMonitor access delays. However, I have spoken to our learner support officer who works with the learners who have these needs and have obtained this information that way instead. Now I should be able to target materials better not just for ESOL but GCSE and Functional Skills also.

PS18 – Due to my unfamiliarity with the exams, I was unable to mark and provide feedback for them at an “assessor/marker” level for learners’ mock papers. This has now changed and now I am completely familiar with mark tracking, exam assessment packs and immediate STAR feedback, which is sent cross departmentally via SharePoint.

Though these are small hinderances, I now know what to look out for prior to the third observation, where I am hoping that my selection of the next six professional standards – where some standards will be put up for review again – will be better than the original first or second observations.

Comments

Popular Posts