Teaching First #1

This post is a reflection upon my first experience teaching a lesson with the E1G1 group without the support of a fellow staff member. Initially I was aware of the British Values I was expected to embed within my lesson, but I was not aware of how to successfully get them across to the learners. After a brief informal discussion with the manager during lunch break, it was made clear to me that I was taking the correct considerations in my lesson planning – but was not using official collegiate documentation to evidence my lessons. After being shown where to find the official BMET lesson plan and scheme of work templates via the ProMonitor/SharePoint VLE/MLE systems online, I made sure that I was completing both BCU and BMET documentation where and whenever it was/is needed and continue to do so throughout the remainder of my placement

BMET SharePoint HomePage

Another discovery that I made when lesson planning and embedding British Values was how the “acculturation” of learners was in itself differentiative in nature, due to all learners coming from a wide variety of backgrounds/ethnicities/genders/etc… Acculturation refers to the “culture shock” a learner may face when introduced into new and unfamiliar cultural surroundings (Hall, p169 – Exploring English Language Teaching). One way of combatting this is to allow the learner to question their identity and instead of ‘choosing’ which culture to remain ‘faithful’ to, they instead take on attributes of both cultures and takes on more of a “critical” perspective of both.

By promoting British Values, the values themselves will be able to act as a sort of moral compass for learners to live by and even question how they see the governance in which they live under. That in itself is the definition of democracy and voicing their thoughts on change is freedom of speech. But by being tolerant of each and every culture – from the one they’ve come from to the one’s their classmates originate from also – it allows for open dialogue and discussion, under a hierarchy built on rules and laws that everyone must respect.

Now that I have become familiar with SharePoint, I would like to become familiar with the ASLA (additional support learner agreement) portal soon. So that should any learners in my class in future have additional support needs, I can act as required to have the correct support put in place. No learners that I teach currently have support needs, meaning that I am currently not overlooking anybody. Although, I am aware that our safeguarding officer is Kim/Tony and should any learners circumstances change, they are the person/people I signpost them to, to begin their initial assessments.

Comments

Popular Posts